Tuesday 6 April 2010

Diary Entry Twenty-One: My Town

I wish I could see the sunset from my home.

"Today is the first day of summer, not scientifically but the sun was shining and the tourists are here. Furthermore; the tourists are in my town, which means they're bored.

Or lost."

That isn't to say my town isn't lovely, my little spot on the island is among the most beautiful if you know where to look. Sadly my dinky town; with its centuries of history and its spirited people, is in crisis: large planned development and the loss of one of our main tourist attractions has rendered us helpless. A recent Town Council meeting apparently shed no new light on what is to happen to the grade II listed building which housed the aforementioned failed business.

Four pubs; a statue of a bull; two bus stops; two national heritage sites; a church and a chappel; a Post Office; a general shop; an electronic goods store; a train station; a doctor's surgery; three post boxes, football and cricket clubs; tea rooms; a model train shop; a hair salon; reading rooms; our own day, and some of the most darling houses you will ever see make up this town which is 13 times less dense than New York and is too often mistaken for a village.

The worst opinion of this town I've ever heard to date is the description that it is little more than a place you pass through to get to one of the surrounding, larger towns.
This view not only ignores our very existance but also belittles us and forgets our wonderful home. I've not had the pleasure of meeting most of our residents but from what I have experienced I know we are a hardy group who all love our little corner of heaven very much and many, it seems, would fight for its survival.

To counter the statement at the beginning of this well-meaning ramble: this town is stuffed full of wonderful people, places, activities, sights and history. Any person will find a million things to love about this place; tourist or resident alike, and those not visiting are the ones who are truly lost.

As I approach the two year anniversary of my living here I must say I have never felt so at home in any of my numerous former residencies. There's something about this place that makes me never want to leave. Thankyou, Brading, for being so perfect.

Oh and I may not see the sunset from my home but I can show you a dozen places where it can be seen at its most beautiful, all in my little town.

No comments:

Post a Comment